Prep time: 8 hours/Cook time 1 hour 40 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 1kg pork belly rind off
- 1 litre water
- 50g sea salt
- 200ml cranberry juice
- 250g plum sauce
- 2 red chillies
- 150g white sugar
- 4cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- Steamed baby bok choy
- Mini vegetable & noodle spring rolls
- Score the fat on the pork belly and trim.
- Combine the salt and water together and whisk to dissolve.
- Place the pork belly into a shallow non-metallic dish. Pour over the salted water, cover and allow to sit covered in the refrigerator for 8-24 hrs.
- Remove belly from the water and pat dry.
- Sprinkle the fat side with a little flaked sea salt and place into a baking dish with the cranberry juice. Cook in the preheated oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove and allow to rest.
- Combine the plum sauce, chilli, white sugar and pan juices into a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the pork belly into squares. Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat with a little olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Place the pork belly squares into the pan, fat side down and sear for 2 minutes. Turn and brown on the other side. Drizzle over a little sauce to glaze.
- Serve on individual plates with baby bok choy and a vegetable spring roll in a pool of chilli spiced plum sauce.
Recipe and picture sourced from www.pork.com.au