Prep time 15 minutes Cook time 3 hours 40 minutes
Serves 4 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1kg pork boneless shoulder roast
- 120g bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Water to cover
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 200ml pork stock (left over from slow cooking)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 6 buns, halved
- 2 cups cabbage coleslaw
- Heat olive oil in a casserole dish on a high heat over the stove and brown pork scotch roast on all sides. Add bacon, carrots, onion and garlic and cook stirring for 2 minutes. Cover with water and place the lid on.
- Place in a preheated oven at 120°C and cook for 3 hours until pork is soft.
- Remove from oven and place pork on a plate. Strain the stock and set aside 200ml to make your sauce (remaining stock and vegetables can be frozen for later use).
- To make the glaze, heat olive oil in a saucepan and sweat the glaze ingredients together. Stir in sauce ingredients and reduce for 15-20 minutes or until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season with sugar and / or vinegar to taste.
- Shred meat using two forks and place into a frying pan, mix in glaze until the pork is moist but not too wet. Heat until warmed through.
- Serve in a bun with pickles and slaw.
Recipe and picture sourced from www.pork.com.au